COVID-19 Update: Summer opens June 13, learn more.
Cogen Plant Upgrades
Snowbird powers up.
Snowbird's CoGeneration (Co-Gen) Plant is getting an upgrade! Rebuilding and relocating the Co-Gen plant will bring more efficient and reliable energy to Snowbird.
The Previous Plant
Snowbird's original Co-Gen plant started running in 1987 and is the only existing Co-Gen facility at a ski resort in North America. The facility was acknowledged as a world-renowned engineering feat.
The Co-Gen plant takes waste-heat given off by electricity producing engines and uses that heat to warm the building and water at The Cliff Lodge. The current Co-Gen plant offsets the majority of the power needs for The Cliff Lodge along with the east village.
New & Improved
The new and improved Co-Gen plant will cover nearly all of the energy needs of the entire resort including The Cliff Lodge, Snowbird Center, The Aerial Tram and the other chairlifts.
The new Co-Gen plant will reduce Snowbird's dependency on the traditional electrical grid, meaning that Snowbird will be almost entirely energy independent, more efficient and coal free.
- The new Co-Gen plant will generate 270% more power
- 71% of Snowbird's electrical usage will be covered even on peak resort days
- The current plant will be relocated and built without sacrificing Snowbird parking spots, and out of the way of the guests' experience
- It is the most integrated project at Snowbird since The Summit on Hidden Peak
- The updated Co-Gen plant will include rooftop solar panels
- The new plant will greatly decrease Snowbird's coal dependency
- All of The Cliff Lodge's room and water heating needs will be produced by waste-heat produced by Co-Gen
- All engines, generators and all other major components are American made
By The Numbers
- Upgrading the plant increases the plant's energy production by 270%
- The New Co-Gen plant could power 5,356 homes per year
- The new facility will be 8,700 square feet
- 79.8% reduction of total emissions